“R.P.L.V. places IHL decision-making into a strategic transformation framework that allows for effective resource optimisations to be identified and missteps to be avoided.”
A transformation decision making framework
IHLs need a simple, effective and easy-to-implement strategy, over which they can exert maximum control, to guide their journey from Old Law to New Law. We have developed one and we call it “R.P.L.V. decision making”.
Our seminal white paper in which we introduce R.P.L.V. is freely available on our website but given the many references we make to it to it in this Guide, we want to briefly provide an overview/introduction to R.P.L.V.
Related Resource: See GLS White Paper R.P.L.V.: IHL Transformation Decision Making.
R.P.L.V. in 10 seconds
R.P.L.V. is a simple decision-making framework that IHLs can apply to all of the daily resourcing decisions that they make, as well as to any decision that need to take as they move to transform their IHL.
The beauty of R.P.L.V. is that it places IHL decision-making into a strategic transformation framework which allows for small and effective resource optimisation steps to be identified, and missteps to be avoided.
R.P.L.V. allows you to bring a “transformation” element to the effort that your IHL puts into meeting the “business as usual” requirements, without “bending your team out of shape”.
And, it achieves this in a totally non-invasive and easy to apply manner.
Firstly, the constituent ingredients of R.P.L.V. are:
• Resources: Cognisance of all available resources available to an IHL and a plan to optimise them
• Prioritisation: Decisions made by reference to your IHL’s approved domain of responsibility
• Leverage: Active consideration of the leverage profile of each resource category as part of decision-making
• Validation: Active consideration of the ability to validate associated resource performance outcomes as part of decision making
As IHLs approach relevant operational decisions, R.P.L.V. requires that they consider that proposed decision through the lens of these 4 factors to assess the “transformation” potential of that decision.
The idea is to ensure that the IHL team “creates space” in their decision making to ensure that they seize the opportunity to harvest any available momentum from each decision that could be of use to their transformation agenda.
That is it in a nutshell – R.P.L.V. is about consistently creating a little bit of space in your mind to actively consider how your daily decision making can be utilised to achieve your strategic transformation goals.
Why R.P.L.V. is so effective?
R.P.L.V. has proved a powerful means of helping IHLs convert daily operations into a powerful and active transformation agenda and substantially obviating the need for dedicated resources because:
• understanding what R.P.L.V. entails takes only about 10 minutes;
• it generally takes minutes to apply;
• it can be applied in real time to the “actual workflow” of an IHL;
• it is just as effective when you specifically apply it in the context of dedicated transformation planning;
• it does not require any resources to implement – just a tiny amount of thinking;
• it does not “wed” you to any particular decision path – it just helps you choose what the right path is for you; and
• all members of your IHL team can apply R.P.L.V. thinking.
R.P.L.V. is the “gatekeeper” for most IHLs to achieve a 30%+ productivity increase from existing resources and it has made a positive difference for every IHL we have introduced it to.
R.P.L.V. is based around what works in practice. It recognises that a steady, incremental approach that is based on small successful steps, led by the IHL itself is the ONLY pathway for a successful New Law transformation as:
• IHLs are best placed to “author” their own transformation plan;
• change should come from within as most categories of legal resources are actually under-utilised;
• foundational transformation can typically be achieved by the team’s existing resources; and
• the IHL must deliver results that the rest of the business will appreciate and want to support.
Find out more about R.P.L.V.
As stated above, we have published a detailed white paper on R.P.L.V. decision-making and instead of repeating all that content in this Guide, we will simply recommend that you review the white paper directly.
Related Resource: See GLS Legal Operation Master Class (2019) on R.P.L.V. Thinking.
• Strategic transformation requires a framework for strategic decisions making
Now that you have a strategic decision-making framework to drive your legal operations agenda, we want to share with you where the “potholes” are typically located in IHL Transformation projects so that you can avoid them:
For other resources: